Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Shopping Bag As Art


I read an interview with Karl Lagerfeld in which he said that he has always loved beautiful shopping bags and could never bear to throw one away.  This was his inspiration for the Chanel leather shopping bag totes that are all the rage this season. I'm sure he is not alone is his love for gorgeous shopping bags.





I too love beautiful shopping bags and display some in my dressing room. Among my favorites are the orange Hermes, the chocolate brown and white striped Henri Bendel, the lavender Bergdorf Goodman, the chocolate brown Louis Vuitton, the blue Tiffany, the shocking pink Betsey Johnson, the green and white striped Kate Spade, the dalmatian print Inn at Little Washington, the pink Thomas Pink, the white Chanel, the always changing but always chic Neiman Marcus. 

This top photo courtesy of Australian Better Homes and Gardens via Simply Natural shows shopping bags framed as art. I think this is a charming idea for a dressing room. And please, no comments about worshipping materialism-this is recycling! What is your favorite shopping bag? One of these iconic ones, or perhaps one from a local store of yours. I'd love to hear....







(Photos courtesy of Flickr, Simply Natural, and Australian Better Homes and Gardens)

20 comments:

  1. I have a box full of them that I can't bear to get rid of! LOL they're too pretty and I always think I'll reuse them (but rarely do!). I love the thomas pink bags (yes, I like pink sometimes!) and the beautiful navy blue ralph lauren bags with their gilded name. I'm going to have to go through my 'collection'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stefan-In my dressing room photo I have a Thomas Pink and Ralph Lauren-two of my favorites. I got my wall paint color by taking a Thomas Pink bag to the paint store and had it matched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me say WOW too!! Your blog is wonderful! Love all his yummy fashion. My eyes are in heaven.

    xoxo's Noel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noel-Thanks for stopping by. I am a huge fan of your amazing work. I would love to feature you in an upcoming post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Beth, packaging can almost be as good as the contents of the bags!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is WONDERFUL! I have so many shopping bags I've collected over the years, especially when living overseas, and I've been wondering guiltily what to do with all of them (but haven't thrown them away). Frame them! I'm absolutely going to do this!
    Yay for Tuesday inspiration - thanks Beth :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do I love packaging!!! Yes, and wish I had some wall space as I would frame them. My favorite is a Herve Leger in lavender and black from last winter and it came with the most original arm band that I love, love (that was what I bought to get the bag!) I line them up above my closet. Love the top photo and great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm...the Tory Burch shopping bag is a lot of fun, but for a classic, Tiffany's is the ultimate. The color has become synonymous with luxury and its almost universally recognizable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loe packaging too and have a little collection: chanel, dior ...vuitton .... love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne-It's true, the gorgeous bag is half the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SF-A great idea, I agree. In the recent DC Design House, David Mitchell had framed about a dozen paint samples for the living room and they looked wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A Gift Wrapped Life-My daughter's apartment in Georgetown has a large walk-in closet with high ceilings and she has the whole top shelf lined with gorgeous shopping bags-she works for Neiman Marcus. The Herve Leger is similar to the lavender Bergdorf's, no?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Averill-I agree, Tiffany and Chanel are the iconic bags.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LMDA-Now you know what you can do with them! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! This idea is brilliant and so simple! I, too, have collected numerous bags over the years. Among the gorgeous designer ones, there are some pretty ones from little boutique stores - one that instantly comes to mind has a stunning silk flower on the front. I couldn't bear to throw it away...and there are a few from my first time in Paris and NYC that have such special meaning to me :) I was wondering, do you mind if I post this on my blog as well? I would link to your amazing post. (and blog of course)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sarah-I am a big fan of your blog-I would be honored.

    ReplyDelete
  17. count me in too!
    I'm nuts about this idea :)
    Merci - carolg

    ReplyDelete
  18. Paris Breakfasts-Merci, I think it is tres chic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hermes suits me just fine!!

    great idea, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kit-I'd love to add a Hermes to my collection.

    ReplyDelete